Field research gives Master of Science in Global Health STudents the opportunity to take classroom experiences and use them in a real-world setting. You are required to complete a minimum of 10 weeks of field research, and each project is mentored by a Duke faculty member. Projects vary year to year, but fall under four general models:
- Faculty research projects - Students join a faculty research project and thesis research will focus on an individual question within the overall project activities and goals. The fieldwork activities may support research beyond an individual queSTion.
- 小组项目 - DGHI has a number of international research collaborations that may offer opportunities to small groups of Duke MSc-GH students. Students will be together at a site, but working on individual projects, allowing for greater collaboration on logiSTics and support.
- Team-based models - DGHI faculty lead a number of team-based projects through our research collaborations and the Bass Connections initiative. MSc-GH students can work with vertically integrated teams or across Duke, completing required individual thesis research within a team STructure.
- Data analysis and contextual fieldwork - In some cases, fieldwork activities will complement data already collected by others or enhance research activities. In that case, the thesis will focus on secondary analysis of existing data, with the field experience offering a contextual underSTanding of the topic or project environment.
To date, STudents have completed innovative field research in more than 20 countries around the world.
Finding Your Opportunity
研究 opportunities are shared throughout your first semeSTer in the program:
- 研究 AssiSTant 机会 for 1ST 年级学生： PoSTed internally at the beginning of each academic year.
- The MSc-GH Sakai Site: 机会 poSTed on this internal site once confirmed.
- Group information sessions: Small group sessions for specific opportunities will be arranged in September and October to share more in-depth information about specific research sites, new projects or opportunities.
- Meetings with MSc-GH program STaff: Students have dedicated program staff available to meet and discuss research intereSTs, academic goals, and long-term plans as they relate to the fieldwork and thesis process.
- Bass Connections website: This central liSTing of all available projects for Bass Connections is updated throughout the year with opportunities available across all five of the BC themes.
Fieldwork and 研究 Timeline
Most MSc-GH students complete their 10-week field research during the summer between the firST and second year in the program.
Key research mileSTones include:
- 八月 – New STudent orientation
- 八月/September: 研究 AssiSTant positions matching
- September/October – Ongoing informational and advising meetings
- 十一月 – Project and mentor selection finalized
- 一月 – Draft research proposals due
- 游行 – Final research proposals and grant paperwork due
- 五月六月 – Field research begins
- 八月 – Students return to campus for the second year
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your requeST. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.Inside the MSc-GH 博客。
Field 研究 Experience Highlights
Student Bloggers Share their Field Experience
Insights from current STudents, alumni and faculty about their work and experiences from the classroom and the field.